Eglin Afb, FL asked in Divorce for Florida

Q: How can I divorce someone who blocked me on everything, lives out of state, and refuses to sign anything

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If there is nothing to divide and no children you can get divorced with notice to the other party by publication. Contact a local lawyer for help.

Matthew J Ausley
Matthew J Ausley
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If you file for divorce, and you have your spouse properly served, you will get divorced if your spouse does not respond. Your spouse will have 20 days after service to respond to the Petition for Dissolution of Marriage. If the spouse fails to respond, and you ask the clerk to default him/her, you will get everything you asked for in the Petition as long as the court has jurisdiction and the things you requested are not outside the bounds of law and equity. Essentially, relief requested must have a basis in the law and not be totally unreasonable.

However, nonresponsive spouses have a way of becoming very responsive once they are served. Although it is nice when you can get a default, it is also rare.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.