Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Arkansas

Q: If I'm on the birth certificate, as the biological father, can I pick up my child from a grandparents or daycare center?

I haven't seen my 11 month old daughter in 33 days my ex fiance is hiding her from me just being vindictive for our breakup. I've read that with no standing custody order from the courts, that I have 50% rights to my daughter. And that I can pick her up from any location with proof of paternity and that a daycare center or relative cannot deny me my child.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Skye Martin
Skye Martin
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: You’ll need to file a petition to establish paternity. A birth certificate alone is not enough. You have no right to the child if you were never married to the child’s mother until you establish paternity. Then you can ask for visitation or custody.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.