Frankfort, IL asked in Traffic Tickets for Illinois

Q: I tried to renew my license and found out I have a hold on my license from a 2000 No Insurance ticket in Will County.

On the ticket, it shows my license was used as bond. I have had my license as far back as I can remember. It's been renewed, had my address changed, and I have used it as a legal form of valid ID to obtain an FOID, Conceal/Carry, FCC for my job, as well as multiple IL Dept of Agriculture agent cards (one as recent as this past August). To still have my license, it MUST mean that the ticket was taken care of, and the license was returned to me. There would be no other way that I could have gotten it back. PLUS, after looking at a copy of the ticket that I got from the WC court house, it shows that my DL # is wrong on it. This could mean that clerical errors have occurred to where they now expect me to pay $1300 to get the hold off my license.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Jason A. Wilkins

  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Naperville, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Hello Asker,

I know one thing...your license was not returned to you. This is simply not possible as you wouldn't possess one with a different address if you changed it since the ticket. A more likely result was that you went reapply for a new license PRIOR to the failure to pay hold being issued but AFTER your case. The issuance of a new license would necessarily require issuing a new license. At that time, it would appear that you inadvertently may have lied about your license being on a state of bond when you applied for the new license which would have happened when you changed your address. It is very possible to get some of those fines knocked down or the case thrown out depending on what happened with it but you should probably not stomp your feet so much at the Secretary of State because they probably assumed that you had an I-bond on the insurance ticket. If they find out you had a License Bond, they may cancel your license and potential treat it as a fraud action in the worst case scenario since possessing a license with a new address while your old one was on bond would necessarily require misrepresenting your license status as being not held on bond when you applied (which it must have been since it is STILL on bond and a new license issued).

My recommendation is that you speak to an attorney to see what you can do to remove the hold while also avoiding a cancellation of your privileges.

Juan Ooink agrees with this answer

Theodore J. Harvatin

  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Springfield, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: It is also possible you are a victim of identity theft. You may need to contact a WC traffic lawyer if you cannot work it out with the circuit clerk's help.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.