Urbana, IL asked in Traffic Tickets for Illinois

Q: I have received the 11-602a violation ticket and and in next two days i got another 11-602b violation ticket. How bad

How bad is my situation? these are my first two tickets in 7 years of driving history. Can you request court for supervision and how much is period of supervision.

My Bad its 11-601a and 11-601b. both tickets are not from same county. and both tickets state no court appearing needed.

11-601a is related to accident and i was alone on road, no crash or property damage. the accident is not witnessed by anyone.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Jason A. Wilkins
Jason A. Wilkins
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Carol Stream, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Hello Asker,

I don't think you meant to say 11-602 but rather 11-601. 11-602 is more of a regulatory provision for 11-601. With that said, 11-601(a) is usually an accident ticket. These are not seen as serious violations so long as there aren't any major financial obligations and no one is seriously hurt. Hence, it is unlikely to make getting supervision on the 11-601(b) speeding.

Fortunately, you are supervision eligible on both tickets because, so long as you haven't had court supervision twice in 12 months, you are considered supervision eligible. The issue you must be concerned about is that you may need to appear in court for at least one of the tickets if not both to get supervision on both. This is because state's attorneys routinely have a policy to deny supervision requests by mail or otherwise methods that avoid a court appearance if you have had a ticket in the past 12 months. If BOTH of these are from the same county, they may want you to appear for both.

Personally, I don't recommend requesting supervision on the accident ticket. They are often best resolved set down for trial and hoping that no complaining witness shows up (assuming an officer did not witness the accident and thus the other driver is the only possible witness who could testify against you). This often results in winning by default. If your insurance paid the other driver's bills in full and no serious injury resulted, this is a common outcome since they are less likely to take off work to come to court. Take this with a grain of salt as I have not practiced in Urbana and you should speak to local counsel there to see if this strategy holds there.

All of this said, I think you are in a good position to get supervision on both assuming you are found guilty on both but you should speak to a local attorney to see what they recommend about how to best go about increasing your chances of this.

I hope that helps and let us know if you have any other questions!


Jason A. Wilkins

Traffic Attroney

(630) 445-2293

1 user found this answer helpful

Theodore J. Harvatin
Theodore J. Harvatin pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Springfield, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: I assume you meant 11-601. If you got two in the same county you might be able to negotiate a package deal. If there was an accident the other driver mightnot shoe up and get it dismissed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.