Fort Madison, IA asked in Personal Injury for Iowa

Q: Hi I live in Iowa and my employer is from Iowa but the company he has his trucks leased to is from South Dakota .

My injury occurred in Arizona While I was about to load my trailer I hurt my back then and my leg kicked out. Do I use an attorney in Iowa where I live or South Dakota where the carrier is located?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Douglas Lombardi
Stephen Douglas Lombardi
  • West Des Moines, IA
  • Licensed in Iowa

A: It appears you likely have a claim subject to Iowa and an Iowa lawyer would probably handle it. From the question number one seems to be true. From the little information provided I am uncertain if number two is also true. I know you live in Iowa. Do you regularly work in Iowa? Do you drive across Iowa? Is there a written contract with a provision detailing where a work injury claim is venued?

You likely need to visit with an Iowa lawyer, so the lawyer can get exact facts and make a determination. Here are the five situations making your claim and Iowa claim.

A trucker injured outside of Iowa is entitled to Iowa benefits if one of the five situations are true:

1. The employer has a place of business in Iowa and the driver regularly works at or from that place of business, or the employer has a place of business in Iowa and the driver is domiciled in Iowa.

2. The driver is working under a contract of hire made in Iowa and the driver regularly works in Iowa.

3. The driver is working under a contract of hire made in Iowa and sustains an injury for which no remedy is available under the workers’ compensation laws of another state.

4. The driver is working under a contract of hire made in Iowa for employment outside the United States.

5. The employer has a place of business in Iowa, and the driver is working under a contract of hire which provides that the driver’s workers’ compensation claims be governed by Iowa law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.