Des Moines, IA asked in Medical Malpractice for Iowa

Q: Hi, I'm wondering if I can sue the Orthopedic doctor who failed to diagnose and treat my ankle for bone marrow edema...

You see, I fell in January of this year and broke my fibula. The orthopedist I was sent to was very impersonal from the beginning. A cast was place and I had x rays several times until the cast was removed the end of February.. my ankle was very swollen so I was given a walking boot and sent to therapy.. By May there had been little to no improvement but the orthopedist didn't care. He refused to sign an additional therapy prescription, gave me no work restrictions and told me that eventually it will get better in spite of my ankle still being very swollen and very painful. I heard him tell his assistant that I should stop babying it and get back to work. I sought a second opinion and after MRI and CT scan, I have bone marrow edema and moderate joint degeneration. The original doctor SHOULD have listened and looked for the source of the swelling and continued pain in my ankle. Because the original orthopedist wouldn't listen, I have suffered and limped for 5 months...

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Douglas Lombardi
Stephen Douglas Lombardi
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • West Des Moines, IA
  • Licensed in Iowa

A: Probably not. It appears your damages would be limited to pain, suffering and some additional discomfort. That's not enough to warrant spending the amount of money it would take to prove that medical malpractice occurred. This even assumes any did occur which I am not convinced did. In evaluating medical malpractice, the first step is always whether the case would be economically feasible if there is malpractice and your case does not meet this threshold requirement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.