Columbus, OH asked in Child Custody for Michigan

Q: My ex is taking our kids to Florida to live in a camper with 5 other people in one week. Can I prevent this?

He and his current wife unfairly gained custody of my 11 and 13 year old sons 2 years ago. They have alienated me from them since. I've just learned through the grapevine he's planned a sudden move to Florida where they will be living in a fifth-wheel camper with 3 other children (7 people total). Basically homeless. Their House here has been in foreclosure for four years. He did not even call me to tell me he was moving. Do I have any way to stop this or do anything at all? It's time to get my power back so I can get my kids back! They can't go to Florida just to be homeless. Please advise me as to what I can do and where to even start. Thank you so very much.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neil Colman
Neil Colman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Clinton Township, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You start with retaining a very experienced family law attorney who has been involved in custody cases. Don't know why you say he gained custody unfairly. If you were not represented or did not take part in the proceedings, that is your fault. Is there a Judgment? Was he awarded sole legal and sole physical custody? What does the Judgment say about changing the children's residence or domicile outside the State of Michigan? You have an uphill battle to gain custody. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.