Flat Rock, MI asked in Child Custody for Michigan

Q: A friends father of her 4 kids took the kids to washington where does she file for custody? Michigan or washington?

My friend went to jail for 3 weeks during that time he took their four kids to washington. And now refuses to let her even talk to them. There is no court order currently in place and he is the father on the birth certificates. Now that she is home she wants to file for custody but we dont know where we need to do it. Here in michigan where the kids have been living or washington where he took them to .

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neil Colman
Neil Colman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Clinton Township, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Hire an experienced family law attorney who can file in the county where you reside and he/she could file motion seeking an Order requiring that the kids be returned to the State of Michigan, since Michigan is their home state.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.