Jacksonville, FL asked in Products Liability and Lemon Law for Florida

Q: I purchased a used car a month and a half ago. The check engine lite is on and it leaks oil. Can I return it?

It is the same problem since I first got it home. I have returned to the dealer 9time as of yesterday. I have asked him to change the car or return my money,but he refuses. How should I deal with him , and how do I deal with the lender. I contacted them about the problem but they have no interest in the deal. I an due my first payment to them, how do I proceed. I live in poinciana (kissimmee,FL)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew J Ausley
Matthew J Ausley
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The state of Florida has a “Lemon Law” which may apply in your situation. Essentially, you will deal directly with the car’s manufacture to have your car fixed or get your money back. You can find out more information on the process by going to the website of the Florida Office of the Attorney General. It is important that you continue to make your payments during the process if you want to protect your credit. You should also consider retaining an attorney to represent you in the process. It is possible to make a Lemon Law claim as a DIY project if you are very organized, willing to put significant time into researching and understanding the process, and can stay focused on following up and not missing any of the critical steps required to succeed with your claim. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.