Albuquerque, NM asked in Child Custody and Family Law for New Mexico

Q: what legal rights do I have for custody and visitation as a mother paying child support?

I share joint legal custody with my son's father and he has physical custody. Over the past year there have been issues of my son running away from home and his father says it's because he doesn't want to face the consequences of his behavior. I always questioned that and felt it was more to that. Today I found out that my son is being abused and mistreated by his step mother and his father hasn't stepped in to stop it. My son's grandmother has even threatened to fight remove my son from their household. What rights do I have as the noncustodial parent to fight for custody?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jeff Grandjean
Jeff Grandjean
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Roswell, NM
  • Licensed in New Mexico

A: You have the absolute right to put a motion in to have custody modified based on what is in your child's best interests. I would recommend you contact an attorney to discus your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.