Albuquerque, NM asked in Employment Law for New Mexico

Q: I was fired the day after a work related injury on a false accusation. Can I file a lawsuit?

I injured my back at work and was giving a few days off. I live next to the bistro I worked in so I stopped by the next day on my way to the store and was asked to purchase a pack of cigarettes for a fellow employee. After delivering the cigarettes I returned home. I was then fired that night, on an accusation. A waitress supposedly had $300 stolen from her purse behind the servers station. While being questioned by police The manager came out and told me to admit to taking it and the waitress would not press charges. Impossible for me to do since I had not taken anything. They refused to show me any camera footage they had and fired me right then and there. I believe it was in fear I may file for workers comp. Can I file a lawsuit against my employer. ? And how should I go about doing so

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Trent A. Howell
Trent A. Howell
  • Santa Fe, NM
  • Licensed in New Mexico

A: There is a statute prohibiting employers from terminating employees "for the sole reason that that employee seeks workers' compensation benefits." New Mexico Workers’ Compensation Retaliation Statute, NMSA § 52-1-28.2. Whether and how it applies to you would depend on the details of your employment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.