Green Bay, WI asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts and Probate for Wisconsin

Q: My stepfather died I hv power of attorney. Want to sell his van but has lean on it frm quick title loan. Do we hv to pay

This is in state of wisconsin. Need to sell van. But can not get clean title to van do we need to pay this off first. Or was this his debt?

1 Lawyer Answer
Sarah Lynn Ruffi
Sarah Lynn Ruffi
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Wausau, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: The loan was your stepfather's debt, which must be paid using your stepfather's assets (i.e. the van). Since your stepfather passed away, your power of attorney is no longer valid. You probably need to file a probate and obtain Domiciliary Letters to deal with the Quick Title loan.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.