Indianapolis, IN asked in Family Law for Indiana

Q: Hi. My son just turned 12. His father has never paid anything. Paternity was proven a year ago. How far bac

How far back does he owe ? How do I receive child support? Will the money affect my disability ? Lisa

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Clarissa Finnell
Clarissa Finnell
  • Indianapolis, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Was child support ordered at time that Paternity was established? If so, then the court order should indicate the effective date of the child support. If child support has not been established yet, the court has discretion as to the effective date. In paternity cases, child support can be ordered back to date of birth. However, that does not mean that the court will do so. They will look all circumstances of the case to determine the effective date. Child support is not income to the party that receives it on behalf of the child. In other words, you do not pay taxes on child support.

You should discuss the specifics of your case with a qualified family law attorney to get a better idea of how far back the judge in your particular case may order child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.