Asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Indiana

Q: Can you be forced to pay child support without a custody order?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Clarissa Finnell
Clarissa Finnell
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Indianapolis, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: I am assuming from your question that there are no orders in place regarding custody, parenting or support. You cannot be "forced" to pay support until a child order is put into place. However, you may be under an obligation to pay support prior to entry of an order by the court. If your child is the result of a marriage, then support can be ordered back to the date a petition for dissolution or support is filed. If your child was born outside of marriage, then support can be ordered back to your child's birth. I recommend that you seek the advice of a qualified family law attorney to determine all your rights and obligations with respect to your child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.