Q: Hello I am the victim of domestic violence . I was on dependent visa but i am mother of two kids, both are Amricans

My husband used to abuse me sextually, hit me many times and turture me mentally and physically ,blackmail me too. Last time when he hit me, i called on 911 soon after my husband sent me to my parents home (India)with kids in 2016. After that he didnt contacted me nor helped us not even financial. when i left amrican i was in depression declared by doctor. But now i reached back USA on tourist visa as my dependent visa got expired. i want to know what legal way i should go to fight for my kids right. please help me, i dont have any idea about legal bettles .

1 Lawyer Answer
Myron Morales
Myron Morales
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX

A: If your spouse was a US citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident, you should look into a VAWA petition. If not, then you would need to file a police report and look into a U visa petition.

Kathryn Hilbush agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.