Madras, OR asked in Family Law and Adoption for Oregon

Q: my daughter was adopted in 2004 and than came back to live with me in 2013 and she is now 18 how do i adopt her back

she wants her father and i to be back on her birth certificate and go by her birth last name

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Since she is over age 18 she can consent to her own adoption. It would cut her off from any inheritance rights from her adoptive parents and could have other adverse consequences with her adoptive parents. If all she wants to to share your name, she could do a legal name change. A legal name change amends the birth certificate to the extent of what her legal name is. I would suggest that she goes and consults with an attorney privately to discuss what she is trying to accomplish and the legal consequences. If she doesn't do an adoption bit instead opts for a legal name change, you would have to affirmatively name her in your Will and on any beneficiary designation if you want her to be recognized as having rights when you die. It won't be automatic under Oregon's intestacy statutes if she isn't legally your daughter via an adoption.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.