Dryden, MI asked in DUI / DWI for Michigan

Q: What does it take to get your license back in Michigan from a dui received over 10 years ago? Lawyer recommendation?

One that will work with me to get the job done and not charge $300 an hour, and Bill me for $7,000 for phone calls and research....but no license. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Frank B. Ford
Frank B. Ford
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Dearborn Heights, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: To get your license back you will have to go through a demanding process. You must have long term abstinence from alcohol, and a commitment to lifetime abstinence. That means no drinking or illicit drugs, whatsoever. You must have letters of support from your friends and family that must include certain topics, you must have a professional substance abuse evaluation, do a ten panel urine test for substances, complete the Form SOS 257, and testify at a hearing. There are instructions on the Secretary of State's website, but they do not tell the whole story. It is very risky to try to do this on your own. You should locate an attorney in your area who has extensive experience in license restoration cases. If you fail, in most cases you will have to wait a year to try again. If you are successful, you will be given a restricted license, with a requirement of having a breath interlock in any vehicle you drive, for at least a year, before you have another hearing to try to get back a full license. Don't look for an attorney based only on price, but I think you are expecting attorney's fees to be much higher than they likely will be. No attorney can guarantee success, but an attorney who is experienced in preparing and presenting these matters at the Administrative Hearings Section makes it far more likely that you'll get the license, if you meet the Secretary of State's criteria. Sincerely, Frank B. Ford

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.