Hobbs, NM asked in Family Law and Child Support for New Mexico

Q: I'm a stay at home mom. How will this affect the child support for my son?

I have been divorced for four years and have been working that entire time. Recently I moved across the state with my SO and I am now a stay at home mom. We are not married yet. My ex husband has not been paying child support for some time and I want to take it to court. I would like to know how my SOs income affects child support the child support because I'm looking to be fair. Does his income count as my own for the purpose of child support?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jeff Grandjean
Jeff Grandjean
  • Roswell, NM
  • Licensed in New Mexico

A: In New Mexico no one's income counts towards child support except for the actual parents, so your new partner's income would not count, even if you got married. As for your income, the court could do one of a number of things, they could use your old income since you voluntarily became a stay at home mom, or they could simply use full time minimum wage for you which is what is often done if someone is not working. If one of your shared children with your ex is under the age of six, the Court also has the option of using a zero figure for your income, but that is in the court's discretion. I would recommend you contact an experienced family law attorney, such as myself or someone else here on Justia to discuss your options further.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.