Portland, OR asked in Tax Law for Oregon

Q: I did my sons taxes, he was audited I didn't handle it correctly, can it be fixed?

Filed on software on phone it told me he was head of household (not single) , claimed niece nephew, permission granted by sister, with whom he lived. first owed $2000ish now over$7000,threatening to take his possessions

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers

Stanley H Block

  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Pikesville, MD

A: If you disagree with the results of the audit you may be able to file an audit reconsideration.

Matthew M Montoya

  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Lone Tree, CO

A: Some things are fixable, some things are not. It depends entirely on what was claimed and whether the taxpayer was entitled to claim it or not. Since the dollar values are high enough, it would be in his best interest to do a consultation with a professional and go over the whole situation.

Linda Simmons Campbell

  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Burlington, CT

A: He might be able to request an audit reconsideration. I recommend that he talk to a tax attorney. Most of us offer a free consultation and will be able to tell him if he might get a better result by requesting an audit reconsideration.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.