Denver, CO asked in Child Custody, Education Law and Family Law for Colorado

Q: what do we do if the non custodial parent is going to court to take our son for high school.

I’ve been primary custodial parent for last nine years. My ex wife has asked to take our oldest for high school (next year). I’ve stated it’s not in his best interests, she thinks it is. So now that I’ve said no she says she filing with court.

1 Lawyer Answer
John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You should retain an attorney to respond to her motion. There are different standards for the court to apply depending on the amount of time you have had versus what she is requesting. That may be "best interests of the child" or 'endangerment", depending on the facts of your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.