Orlando, FL asked in Child Support for Wisconsin

Q: If a divorce is in one state (Minnesota) and she moves to another (Wisconsin), which state can enforce the child support

Father is in Florida. Child is 18 and still in high school. Back child support is owed and medical bills that are unknown if they have even been paid. Enforcement in the state the mother lives in is trying to sue to increase child support and retro payments. Father has not been provided copies of paid medical bills.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: The custodial parent (mother, in this case) in Wisconsin can try one or more of three avenues:

1) move to modify the divorce decree (from Minnesota)

2) sue in the Wisconsin courts; or

3) sue in the Florida courts.

However he could probably oppose avenues 2 & 3 on the grounds that the case has already been decided. If she moves to modify the original decree (avenue 1) in Minnesota, he might also successfully oppose the motion on other grounds. For what might be a more accurate answer regarding Minnesota or Wisconsin laws, you might want to post your question in Justia › Ask a Lawyer › Minnesota › Child Support › and/or Justia › Ask a Lawyer › Wisconsin › Child Support ›.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.