Flushing, NY asked in Child Support and Family Law for New York

Q: Hello i just received a phone call 9 years later apparently i have a child

I am not sure what will happen, She texted me i haven't spoken to her in years and telling me that she is filing for child support that they are going to suspend my license and prosecute me jesus what just happened. when she files for child support do i have to pay for the last 8 years ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Laura Ann Daniels
Laura Ann Daniels
  • Scarsdale, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: No, you will only be responsible for support from date of filing of the petition. But, first she should prove that you are the father. You should ask for paternity to be established by DNA testing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.