Uniontown, PA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Social Security for Pennsylvania

Q: My wife and I make too much for legal aid. Are there any attorneys who work pro bono? We live pay check to paycheck.

My ex wife is abusing our son's social security benefits. He lives with me full time and it's mutually agreed upon but she is still his representative payee. She gives me $100/month out of over $700. He has spent 1 weekend at her house in the last 4 months and only 1 other day. She asked us to bring her outfits for him to have this weekend. She gets $600+/month, why doesn't she have clothes for him? What is she spending that money on, especially since she never has him and rarely calls to talk to him. And she can't give me the $100 this month, that she got yesterday because she had to pick up her Christmas layaway that includes stuff for her other two children out of that money. I need to do what's right and best by my son but unfortunately money is tight. Help!!

1 Lawyer Answer
Stephanie E. Emanuel
Stephanie E. Emanuel
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Bronx, NY

A: I highly recommend that you hire an affordable dedicated attorney that can guide you as a PRO-SE (represent yourself in court) and use the hired attorney for general guidance and minor document preparation. We can not solicit for clients here, so you would need to reach out to attorneys for a free consultation and ask about how much they would charge you in your case.

If you go with the free attorneys from non-profits or court you will not be able to hear from them because of the amount of caseload they have and would not be able to best address your concerns compared with a dedicated retained attorney.

Some attorneys usually charge a monthly fee of like $40 + a discounted fee for whatever you require this might be beneficial to you and help you out in a pay-check to pay-check.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.