Winder, GA asked in Domestic Violence, Family Law, Animal / Dog Law and Landlord - Tenant for Georgia

Q: Can my step dad kick my young child and I out without any notice prior to vacate?

We've been here less than 3 months, he said we could stay until I got accepted or denied for a loan towards my own home purchase. He's constantly a different man and changing his mind about things. Now, less than 15 days from Christmas he wants us to move out knowing I'm low income and banking on this loan and all my savings to go towards my own home. The whole point to us being here was to save up and renting would've just deminished my bank account tremendously. He also keeps threatening to shoot my dog in the head just because he doesn't like him... What can I do to prolong this moving until I can find a place to go and what rights as far as his threats to kill my fog do I have?

1 Lawyer Answer
Stephanie E. Emanuel
Stephanie E. Emanuel
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Bronx, NY

A: Well, you can certainly contact a lawyer for a free consultation to discuss your situation and see what answers they give you. While you are staying at his place you should find other accommodations. I am limited to what I can answer in a public forum, which is why I am telling you to contact a lawyer for a free consultation so that you or we can go over your situation and options in details.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.