Mansfield, OH asked in Probate for West Virginia

Q: My aunt in west Virginia had passed and left her estate to her friend. My brother and I are her lawful heirs

Is this something that can be reversed with legal counsel? I don't want family heirlooms, such as furnature, jewelry, albums, or the home to be sold off to the highest bidder.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH

A: If her will is submitted to probate, and the court approves it, then the executor must follow it. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to consult a WV probate attorney who can review the facts, whether your aunt was mentally competent, whether the friend exerted undue influence, etc. You could file a challenge with the probate court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.