Dallas, TX asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Federal Crimes and Personal Injury for New Mexico

Q: Can I do anything legally against my mom, who abused me for 7yrs in NM. It ended when my dad began raising me on his own

My Mom was very neglectful & abusive. Both Physically and emotionally. All of This happened to me between ages 7-14. She was neglectful and abusive to her other 5children as well. She provided them drugs and Alchohol when they were only between the ages of 11-15. She specifically picked out her oldest son to abuse. He got older and left home. She then picked me. She allowed her kids to commit aweful crimes and Then hid them from the law. When i was 10. She hid my 16year old brother from police. Then threw him out one night, A few hours later he was found murdered in a field. Stabbed 23times. She then brainwashed me & told me it was my fault and I should hate myself. All the stuff she did left a scar. It took time to heal. I made the choice to live with my Dad years ago. He raised me with love and good morals. I am now living a good healthy life. I am wondering if there is anything I can do legally against her. I believe she should have to answer for all she did. Im 18 & live in Tx now.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: You can file criminal charges. You can sue her civilly but that will cost money and unless she has a lot I don't see it as doing anything except frustrating you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.