New York, NY asked in Immigration Law for New York

Q: How does one handle forgetting to disclose important ds260 corrections during the interview?

Firstly, this is a case of my Yemeni wife. My previous lawyer had made 1-2 important mistakes on my wife's ds260 which he did not review with me before submitting it. He suggested only that it would be sufficient to bring the matter up at the interview. The interview was a few days ago and it was extremely well received all the same, but was very short and the ds260 corrections forgotten. Additionally, my wife was recommended for a waiver on the spot, all be it she would still need to undergo some additional background checking because of the ban and the new information they collected that day (ds5535). And because of the ds260 mistakes there is now going to be discrepancies of living addresses between the two documents. As well as, her work and education levels.

What is the best course of action? Is it to re-establish contact with my previous lawyer and have him submit an email that states these mistakes were his own or for us to reach out to them and say we forgot to mention it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Edit Stelczner
Edit Stelczner
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Whether to handle it alone, with your previous attorney or through hiring a new attorney is your personal decision but you should definitely notify the consulate about the discrepancies. An attorney may have had experience dealing with situations like yours so that might be an advantage but it is up to you. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.