Bedford, VA asked in Traffic Tickets for Virginia

Q: Just got my first ticket ever at 21 years old. Got caught doing 53 in a 25. Is there a way to get the charge reduced?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Wilfred Yeargan
Wilfred Yeargan pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Fairfax, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Yes, a good traffic lawyer may be able to get the case deferred for dismissal with completion of a driver improvement course. Or possibly reduced to a non-moving violation like Defective Equipment that carries no points. This would save you six demerit points on your driving record and insurance rate hikes. Contact my office at 703-352-9044 for assistance and a free consultation.

You need to be aware that at that speed, the offense may be charged as Reckless Driving and not just Speeding. This is a misdemeanor criminal offense and if you are convicted, it will go on your permanent criminal record. You may also lose your license for up to six months and receive high fines and even jail. Call an experienced lawyer and give them the code section so you can clarify if you are charged with Reckless Driving or a traffic infraction of Speeding.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.