Bossier City, LA asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for Louisiana

Q: I was involved in a car accident today in Louisiana. I do not have insurance but the person who hit me did. What can ido

I know there is a no pay no play law in Louisiana but is there any way I could do something about this?

1 Lawyer Answer
Steven Pate Harrelson
Steven Pate Harrelson
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: In Louisiana, the “No-Pay, No Play” law bars uninsured and underinsured drivers from collecting the first $15,000 of bodily injury damages and the first $25,000 of property damages. This means that even if the other driver is at fault, an uninsured driver will have to cover medical costs up to $15,000, and car repairs up to $25,000.

So in short, unless you qualify for one of the exemptions, and your injuries are minimal, an attorney won’t be able to help you. The exemptions are as follows:

1. Only the state-required minimum liability insurance, not full coverage, is required to be exempt from the “No-Pay, No-Play” law.

2. The law does not apply to legally parked cars.

3. The law does not apply to drivers from another state if their state did not require them to have liability insurance at the time of the wreck.

4. The law does not apply if the other driver is convicted of driving while intoxicated, intentionally causes the wreck, fled the scene, or was furthering the commission of a felony at the time of the accident.

5. The law does not apply to a passenger’s claim unless the passenger is a co-owner of the uninsured car.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.