Fairview, OR asked in Family Law and Child Support for Oregon

Q: I live in Portland Oregon and was never married to my kids father and neither one of us has went to court to establish c

He has been lieing to DHS to get cash assistance and now they are coming after me for child support, I have done and sent everything they have ask of me to prove she lives with me but they still favored him and are making me pay child support when my daughter lives with me. How do I stop this

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: You initially get paperwork that is only proposed child support. You need to request an administrative hearing and at the hearing put on your evidence. Then if things don't go well, you will be given an amount of time by which you can file an appeal. The appeal will move the case into regular court in front of a circuit court judge. At that point you probably want to consult with an attorney to make sure you are putting on your evidence correctly. The trick here is to make sure you file your objections on time and get your hearings. Don't miss any deadlines.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.