Joliet, IL asked in Child Support for Indiana

Q: My 18 yr old daughter gets married tomorrow. Am I obligated to continue paying child support? If not, how do I stop it?

This is not in IL It's for Indiana

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Clarissa Finnell
Clarissa Finnell
  • Indianapolis, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Child support in Indiana terminates by operation of law when a child turns 19. However, there are circumstances under which you can emancipate your child prior to age 19. Marriage qualifies as grounds for emancipation. However, you cannot simply stop paying support but rather need to file petition with court asking that support terminate due to your child's emancipation. I suggest you consult with an attorney to review all the facts of your particular case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.