Vestal, NY asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Pennsylvania

Q: my ex husband has taken our two children out of state for 6 months. what can I do to get them back to pa

everyone was told it was only for 2 weeks. I didn't do a custody order with our divorce because I didn't want to put our daugthers though a hearing. they left June 25, 2017 and have not been back.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lisa Marie Vari
Lisa Marie Vari
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: It sounds like dad has relocated with the children. Pennsylvania relocation laws list requirements and steps that must be taken when one is considering relocating to a new city, state, or even a different country with minor children. Below are the "relocation logistics" in Pennsylvania.

In Pennsylvania, a parent considering moving with their children must give formal notice to the non-relocating parent, providing at least thirty days' notice. The non-relocating parent may object to the move. However, if he or she does object, the court will intervene. A "Gruber hearing" is then conducted in a Pennsylvania court. The purpose of this hearing is to determine whether the parent is permitted by the court to move their minor children.

I would suggest filing a petition for custody and ask the court order dad to return to PA with the children while you proceed through the custody process. A potential issue you will have is jurisdiction; jurisdiction is usually proper where the children have been residing for the past 6 months. You may end up having to file outside of Pennsylvania.

Please feel free to read my blog on relocation, linked below.

Lisa Marie Vari, Esquire

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.