Philadelphia, PA asked in Child Support for Pennsylvania

Q: I have a son that 18 and autistic .How long will I have to pay support? And I believe he is a receiving disability chec.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lisa Marie Vari
Lisa Marie Vari
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: In PA a child support obligation exists until the child turns 18 or graduates from high school, whichever occurs later. If the child is unable to be self-supporting, the court may extend a parent's obligation when the inability is due to a physical or mental condition that exists at the time the child reaches the age of majority. This may be ordered on a permanent or temporary basis. The burden of demonstrating that support should continue after the age of majority on the basis of disability rests with the adult child.

Social Security Disability (SSD) payments are considered income in PA family law cases. If he is receiving SSD, the amount he receives will be considered in your case.

Feel free to visit my website for more information on child support obligations in PA.

Lisa Marie Vari, Esquire

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.