Omaha, NE asked in Immigration Law for Nebraska

Q: I'm an international student in the US right now for 6 months, can I apply for asylum?

I'm also a former participant in IYLEP (Iraqi young leaders exchange program) and this program took place in the united states and I got harmed and really bothered in Iraq for being a part of it, so will this thing help me if I apply?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Hector E. Quiroga

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: Yes. You should speak with an immigration attorney ASAP to provide specific details about your case to see if it is viable. You must file within one year of your last arrival.

Carl Shusterman agrees with this answer

Carl Shusterman

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA

A: You qualify for asylum if you have been persecuted or have a “well-founded fear of persecution” in your country based on (1) political opinion, (2) religion, (3) race, (4) nationality, or (5) membership in a particular social group.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.