Clermont, FL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Georgia

Q: Can a mother of a child give 30 day relocate, moving the child because wanting to be with her boyfriend?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tyler Carey
Tyler Carey
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Generally, yes. Each settlement agreement or final divorce decree is different but most spell out one spouse must give their former spouse 30 days notice. Most of the agreements are silent as to the non-relocating spouse having to AGREE to the relocation. Moving in with a new boyfriend may be grounds for a modification of custody, BUT, it is critical you consult a local attorney to fully evaluate all the facts and circumstances of the case. Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.