Ocoee, FL asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Georgia

Q: My daughter's mother and I had a verbal agreement regarding financial support and visitation. Never court ordered.

Lately she hasn't been allowing me to see or speak to my daughter. I filed legitimation papers, which include visitation, custody, and child support. Will our verbal agreement be of any use and Where do I stand

1 Lawyer Answer
Tyler Carey
Tyler Carey
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Until you have an order legitimating you as the father of the child, you have no rights to your daughter (visitation, child support, etc.). With you filing for legitimation, that is the first step in getting an established visitation schedule. The current verbal agreement is less important than what the actual practice has been (e.g. orally you guys agreed to every other weekend, but in practice in is really more every weekend). The visitation that has actually gone on will set a precedent for what both parties are comfortable with, at a minimum. If you are filing your legitimation pro se, I caution you to proceed any further without representation. If you do have an attorney, these types of questions can be directed to him or her.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.