North Versailles, PA asked in Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Prior to separating he filed a lawsuite against his employer which could have a sizable payout. Am I entitled to any?

He filed the lawsuit prior to separating. I have suffered the verbal, mental and emotional abuse caused by the stress at his job. When crap happened, he took it out on me. Now we are separating and he lawsuit could last another year or two, and finalize after the divorce. Am I entitled to a portion of the settlement once it's over? Especially considering everything I've had to endure during the length of employment?

1 Lawyer Answer
Lisa Marie Vari
Lisa Marie Vari
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Yes, you are entitled to a portion of the settlement; any payment received as a result of an award or settlement for any cause of action or claim which accrued during the marriage is subject to equitable distribution, regardless of when the payment was received.

Please feel free to visit my website to learn more.

Lisa Marie Vari, Esquire

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.