Springfield, MO asked in Estate Planning for Missouri

Q: My parents have a revocable trust with a former friend being having the power of attorney.

or myself what do we need to do to make that change and they also need to remove my brother from their will who has passed away?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristi Burmeister
Kristi Burmeister
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Your parents will need to revoke their prior power of attorney and prepare a new one. As for the will, depending on how it is drafted, it may or may not need to be revised. For example, the will may say that your deceased brother's inheritance will pass to his heirs (most likely his children). If that is what your parents want, then the will should be fine. Of course I haven't seen the will, so this is just a hypothetical. Many attorneys will sit down with your parents to review the old will and discuss these issues for an hourly fee. Best of luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.