New London, WI asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law and Personal Injury for Wisconsin

Q: hello how far can city police officer follow you till the officer is profiling in a vehicle

stevens point police officers followed me about .5 miles we both stop at a stop light pass through the stop light on to the highway about 5 miles down the road i was pulled over in the right hand lane because i was about to get sandwich on the highway between the cop and a van that pulled on the highway got into the left lane seen the officer behind me and immediately pulled into my lane i hit my turn signal to move into the left lane then i moved over and the officer said i was following to close to the van i believe i was not a 1 little car could fit between me and the fan before i moved over to pass

1 Lawyer Answer
Emmanuel Muwonge
Emmanuel Muwonge
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Wauwatosa, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: I believe that the city police officer can follow you within the jurisdiction he works and also call others if and when you are about or he suspects you will elude him or her into another jurisdiction. An officer can follow you for as long as s/he believes a crime is being committed has been committed and or is about to be committed. The facts you furnished are not enough for me to sufficiently answer the question you asked.

Please remember that it is all about your ability or rather, the driver ahead of you being able to break in time to avoid an accident between that driver and other traffic ahead of him or her as well as being rear-ended by you.

The general rule is that you must allow no less than 2 seconds between vehicles during the day and 3 seconds during night time and, in the event of rain, snow, ice and slit, 4 seconds. Intersections, stop signs and yield signs on your route of travel also dictate that you exercise extra care and caution.

It is the officer's discretion keeping all circumstances and conditions in mind, to determine whether to stop you or not. Also, bear in mind the other factors I mentioned in the introductory paragraph above.

I hope this is sufficient for your purposes. I also recommend you consult with a practitioner that handles traffic-related offenses.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.