Green Bay, WI asked in Car Accidents for Wisconsin

Q: I had a coworker hit my car and told me she would pay in full.2 months later she says she doesn't want to. what can I do

She is on SS and did not want her insurance to be raised so we didn't get them involved.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Emmanuel Muwonge
Emmanuel Muwonge
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wauwatosa, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: Unfortunately, it appears you failed to call the Police who would have taken down the information and issued a Police Report. Nonetheless, you may want to go to the Police Department near you and report the accident so that there is an official record. If you have photographs and names of witnesses provide that information as well.

Please note that in Wisconsin, car accidents must be reported if there is injury of a person $1,000.00 or more to vehicles or property. It is not clear how much your damage was.

I assume that your vehicle was parked when it was hit by your co-worker and was unoccupied. If so, you need to submit a crash report online and provide the information required including the names, types of vehicles involved, date of accident, Vehicle Identification Numbers, addresses, license plates, year and make of vehicle and dates of birth of the vehicles' owners.

You also must get a damage appraisal so that you know the amount of damage caused and what it will take to fix. You will also need this information later.

The following is the web address for the online reporting:

Once you have done this, you will be in a much better position to go about the business of trying to collect from your co-worker. If s/he refuses to pay for the damage, notify the State of Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicles and make sure that they do have a record of the accident. If s/he refuses to provide you with the name of their insurance company, the state of Wisconsin will deal with it, often sending a letter requesting the information and providing consequences if they have no insurance. That will force them to work with you and resolve this.

I hope this helps you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.