Brooklyn, NY asked in Landlord - Tenant for Georgia

Q: Can a landlord change or cancel a lease admendment without agreement from the tenant?

My landlord and I signed a lease admendment to allow rent payments split up in three payments throughout the month with a monthly fee. This month they are saying the admendment/payment schedule is no longer allowed. On December 28th a leasing agent emailed me that as long as I paid my last December payment with the $100 late fee by end of day on December 30th I would still have the split payments for January, however the lease nor the admendment doesn’t state any rules regarding being disqualified from the admendment if a payment is late and instead are now stating the admendment is no longer valid and have filed for dispossessary and charging a $200 fee. Can they legally set additional terms/change terms to the admendment after the tenant and landlord has signed the original admendment without the tenants agreement as well and evict a tenant?

Related Topics:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.