Vancouver, WA asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Oregon

Q: Are there any Pro Bono lawyers and/or options for custody/child support cases in central oregon?

Are there any Pro Bono lawyers and/or options for custody/child support cases in central oregon?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: You can get free assistance for establishing child support anywhere in Oregon. Just go to the District Attorneys office in the county you live in. For Custody parenting time you can find forms at your local courthouse or on line that you can use to file. It would of course be better to have the assistance of a lawyer. Unfortunately legal aid services are hard to obtain these days as there simply isn't funding to handle all the cases. Look up LASO (Legal Aid Services of Oregon) on the internet to find the office nearest you. You can also call the Oregon State Bar, 503-620-0222, and ask them about the modest means program.

I think the next best thing to retaining a lawyer is just do your own forms but make an appointment to speak to a lawyer before you file the forms. The lawyer can tell you if you have filled out the forms correctly and tell you how to proceed representing yourself and what the likely outcome is going to be. This way you only pay 1 - 2 hours for the lawyer's time but you are much better prepared.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.