Butler, PA asked in Divorce, Family Law, Tax Law and Child Custody for Pennsylvania

Q: My fiance' is claiming her daughter on her income tax, her ex husband said she would owe him what he would get back.

She's claiming her daughter on her income tax, her ex husband has said that if he can't claim her and head of household that my fiance' would owe him the total amount he would have gotten if he claimed her and HoH. There is no custody agreement through the courts. There's nothing in the divorce papers about this at all. The past 2 years, she allowed him to claim her because he would get around $1800 claiming HoH and her. My fiance' would get around $800. The daughter is supposed to be living in both locations (50/50 split) and so my Fiance' feels she has the right to claim her this year.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lisa Marie Vari
Lisa Marie Vari
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Generally the parent who has primary custody may claim the child on their income taxes. In Pennsylvania there is no hard and fast rule as to which parent may claim a child when there is 50/50 custody.

If the party's cannot agree, they will have to motion the court to make the decision for them.

Please feel free to visit my blog for information on federal income taxation as it relates to Family Law in Pa.


Lisa Marie Vari, Esquire


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.