Lebanon, IL asked in Traffic Tickets for Illinois

Q: I’m 17 I got pulled over going 82/55, I have no previous tickets or warnings, I have a court date, what could happen?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jason A. Wilkins
Jason A. Wilkins
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Carol Stream, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Hello Asker,

First, you should anticipate having a parent or guardian present with you if you won't be 18 at the time of the court date. Even if you will be, it is usually advantageous to have one anyway.

Second, it is hard to say what can be expected because by definition, 100% of the people who don't hire an attorney won't have an attorney there to witness what happens when someone goes to court without an attorney. What I can say is that there are generally three outcomes for this type of violation. One is a conviction which would drastically increase insurance rates and put you at risk of suspension if you have another moving violation. It will also give you a criminal record. Another is supervision which will prevent insurance damage and license issues but will still be a criminal offense on your record. The last circumstance that is possible is a reduction in the speed to a non-criminal level (21-25 mph over the limit). This one is more rare but still possible depending on the county. You can either be convicted or given supervision for such a violation which would be the same result as the above two save for the criminal part.

In general, it is best to speak to a lawyer before going in on one of these tickets because not only does it carry criminal penalties (up to $1500 fine and/or 6 months in jail), but it also can affect your eligibility for better sentences on traffic matters in the future. For instance, if you get one of these offenses on your record, you may NEVER get supervision again. While jail is unlikely, you should contemplate speaking to an attorney. Hope that helps!

Juan Ooink agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.