Greeley, CO asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Colorado

Q: How do I get emancipated without parental consent?

Im 18 years old and a freshman in college. I have a part time job. I currently do not live with my parent, they live in a different state. My mother was abusive to me when I was younger, but will try to continue verbal abuse over the phone. My father never stopped it or tried to stand up for me or him self. He doesn't really do much but agree with my mother. No matter what I say or do they don't listen so I chose not to talk to them. I do not want them in my life at all.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III
  • Louisville, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: At age 18, you are a legal adult and are emancipated. You can decide what contact you have with your parents.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.