Lexington Park, MD asked in Tax Law for Virginia

Q: Can I claim my children on my taxes being that I pay 100% of the child support that should be shared between parents?

She lives in FL and I reside in Va she doesn't work, but somehow wants to claim my 2 children, she also is married and has 2 other children which the husband claims, Is there anything I can do to make this fair since she refuses to let me claim any of them?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Lane Kreitzer
Matthew Lane Kreitzer
  • Winchester, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: There are limitations the IRS has placed on the ability to claim a child as a tax dependent. This is information that you can obtain by speaking with a CPA.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.