Kingwood, TX asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Missouri

Q: My grandma passed away. My aunt went through the house and took everything out before will was read. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristi Burmeister
Kristi Burmeister
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Sorry to hear you are having to deal with this. What your aunt did was illegal, assuming she is not legally entitled to the items. If she will not cooperate with you and return the items so that they can be distributed pursuant to the will, I recommend that you contact an attorney for legal advice. Depending on what sort of assets remain in the estate, you may also need to go through probate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.