Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Oregon

Q: In Oregon, can an employer sue an employee for legal fees after employee files BOLI complaint (but is not suing yet)?

After being terminated, my wife filed a BOLI complaint against her employer concerning sex discrimination and anti-whistleblowing activities (violating professional ethical standards in journalism). The employer sent an email to all current staff saying that they are looking into how they can get my wife to pay their legal fees. BOLI investigations to not require lawyers. Is it possible the employer can sue us for their legal fees if we are not suing them? When can an employer sue an employee (former employee now) for legal fees incurred? Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Michael O. Stevens
Mr. Michael O. Stevens
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Hillsboro, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: They could try, but there would be no way to do it. Potentially if your wife filed suit and lost they could try, but even then it is unlikely.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.