Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Colorado

Q: I am a looking to adopt my step son and strip his mother of parental rights. My fiance and I will be married in July

My son's father and I have been together since he was 1. His mother has not called or seen him since the first few months we've been together. She has missed his 2nd and 3rd birthdays. They have a custody agreement of 4,3,4 (split) but the last time in 2 years and only time she asked to see him was mother's day of last year. She didn't even contact us, her sister set up a meet. I told my husband to give her a chance because her message said she had been making a lot of "self improvements" to make this possible. We picked the meeting place (a park to be public) but they picked the date and time to meet. We took our son to that oark for almost 2 hours where she kept making excuses as to why she was late and that she was almost there. We eventually went home. She never saw him. There has been no contact since that day. No phone calls no visits. I would like to know if my husband and I can strip her rights and I can adopt him. He has called me mom since he was 1 and doesn't know her at all

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You may be able to adopt him if the court decides she has abandoned him and that it is in the child's best interest to have you adopt him. You should retain an attorney to help you with this

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.