Houston, TX asked in Child Support and Family Law for Louisiana

Q: If the father lives in New York while I live in Louisiana, does he have to pay child support?

He has known I was pregnant since I found out. At first he wanted to be apart of the baby’s life. Now that he has a new girlfriend he wants nothing to do with the child or me! He tried saying he was going to take me to court for entrapment. But we both agreed on making a baby! I told him I was going to file for child support. He immediately said that he wasn’t paying it because he wants to sign his rights over.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. James Zitzmann
Mr. James Zitzmann
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You'll have to get a motion filed in nonsupport court, but yes, you can cause him to pay.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.